Thread: Forum logs you out ...

Forum logs you out ...

even if you are in the middle of a post. And to make matters worse it doesn't save what was done up to the point of logoff.

While I can somewhat understand not allowing a user to remain on indefinitely (even though other sites do), but can't anything be done to give the user an opportunity to respond to a "Are you still there" like question before booting one off? I had to retype everything that I had entered. Not very friendly.

Re: Forum logs you out ...

Sorry, I forgot that I had this same problem earlier and Keith answered how to avoid getting logged off prematurely. Unfortunately this doesn't work too well for those of us that use a password management system that logons on to sites automatically therefore one never sees the "Remember me" check box.

I still think it would be nice if the software checked before forcing one off the system. It seems self defeating that in order to avoided getting logged off in the middle of doing something to have to set a check box which if everyone does that then no one will get logged off which defeats the purpose of having a time out mechanism. Of course if you forget to check the remember me and get logged out then one is back in the problem again.

Why not just have a warning message and a delay before the logoff this way if someone is typing the forced logoff can be avoided. If they do not respond then log them off after the delay because they either stepped away or weren't doing any typing.

Frank, I agree with everything you said. When we have free time, I will start looking at modifying the forum's code to handle this more gracefully. Since the forum is third party software, I have a feeling that fixing this would require a big modification to the code, so I can't promise that we'll resolve it. Either way, I encourage you to use that checkbox. Most password managers let you copy the password and paste it in the field. So try that... copy the password, then disable your password manager, paste it in the login field (check the "remember me" box of course). Then after login you can re-enable the password manager. If done right, you shouldn't have to do all that again unless your cookies get wiped.

On a side note, I use a password manager too, but because I like to be in control at all times, I disabled its "auto-login" feature immediately.

Hi Keith:

Thanks for your response.

I knew that it was 3rd party software but was kind of hoping there was a setting to enable something like that which is pretty common so I'm a bit surprised they don't have a feature like that. Maybe you can submit an enhancement request :>).

I've had the PW management system for quite a few years and know how to enable/disable the auto logon feature which I do for certain sites mostly because I want a re-prompt for the master PW and I too want control of these sites, or sometimes the auto logon feature doesn't work so there isn't much choice in that case.. For all the others I allow it to auto logon mostly because it's very convenient rather than all the mouse clicks to locate the entry, C&P the userid/PW, etc. The browser i use has a dial pad so all I need to do is locate the site and click its icon and I'm on. Very mindless which conserves my rapidly decreasing brain cells. And yes, my browser is setup to clear cookies and a bunch of other addons to keep things locked down.

It appears to be foolish that so as to abstained from getting logged off trying to accomplishing something to need to set a check box which in the event that everybody does that, nobody will get logged off which nullifies the point of having a period out component...

http://fromcuptocrop.com.au/
    Last edited by Henry; 12-31-2018 at 06:58 AM.