Thread: Posting Copyrighted Indicators that have a GNU General Public License

Posting Copyrighted Indicators that have a GNU General Public License

I am currently updating a NT7 indicator that I had written, but am using a Copyrighted indicator as its base. The indicator has a commented section in the source code giving permission to use, modify, and freely distribute it under the terms of the GNU General Public License. This forum specifically states that it does not allow the posting of copyrighted material which seems in conflict with what is both stated and is the intent of the original author.

The original Copyright and GNU notations are in the code are completely intact as per the original distribution. I am using some of the base code but the plots and algorithm to produce the plots are different. What is SI's position on my posting this indicator in the Forum for general use? If allowed, besides appropriate credits to the original author (which I would do regardless of any requirements) is there specific verbiage needed that should be included as part of the posting writeup?

Re: Posting Copyrighted Indicators that have a GNU General Public License

Hi Frank,

Please include the original license statements from the indicator and ensure that you credit the author.

Hi MIke:

Crediting the author should be SOP on these conditions so I would always do that.

Where do you mean include the licensing statements, in the write up in the post, the code, ...? Do you mean post the entire GNU license or just that it is falls under the GNU licensing terms and that it is Copyrighted?

If something like "This indicator is protected by Copyright and is governed by GNU Licensing Terms" were included in the write up in the posting would that suffice?

If the GNU license terms were needed maybe SI should post them someplace and then a reference (link) to it could be included in the post as there may be people that are not familiar with the GNU Ts & Cs.

Hello,
    Good questions and thanks for checking. It is ok to post/upload GNU / Copyrighted material as long as the following is satisfied.
    1. Permission is granted in the original Copyright notice or GNU License to freely distribute.
      1. All requirements of such permissions are satisfied in the documentation/description area of the posted material/indicator. E.G. Mentioning/Crediting the author. Linkback to their/a website.
      2. If GNU Licensing is required to be reposted then do so in the documentation/description area of the posted material/indicator. If a link to the Copyright author's GNU Licensing is acceptable then provide the link instead.

2. No component in part or whole is compiled. I.E. No .dll files allowed.

In general, if any author's GNU or Copyright distributing requirements are to difficult to comply with then do not post their material/indicator code.

If the author of any Copyrighted material requests us to take down their material, the entire post will be removed as it is not practical for us to separate their material.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankG View Post
    If the GNU license terms were needed maybe SI should post them someplace and then a reference (link) to it could be included in the post as there may be people that are not familiar with the GNU Ts & Cs.
    Sorry, we are not in the business of running a forum. This is a complementary service for traders, therefore we will not take on additional tasks. Our primary focus is to our software. I hope everyone understands.

Hello:

Thank you for your response, however a little more clarity is needed. I ask because the last thing I want is to be banned from either the SI Forum or the vendor's website because I unintentionally violated some agreement.

Does the statement, "All requirements of such permissions are satisfied in the documentation/description area of the posted material/indicator. " mean that I would need to post the GNU's T&C's as part of the indicator's descriptive narrative?

If so, allow me to make a suggestion that may help solve this, not put more workload on SI personnel, or make it any more difficult than need be..

First, for this particular vendor I have already received his permission to post my modified version of his indicator on Futures IO (BTW, he is also a SI partner). Rather than clutter up posting with a lot of licensing verbiage I will get the vendor's GNU agreement and will either posted it on your site (whenever you designate) or send it to you so that you can post it.

Once posted when this situation arises the indicator posting will contain:

"This indicator contains Copyrighted code from vendor_name_here and may be used, modified, and distributed under the GNU Public License Agreement which can be found here. ("here" is a link to the location of the posted GNU terms) By downloading this indicator the user agrees to the Copyright and GNU License Agreement".

Naturally you can make whatever modifications to the above to suit your needs. The statement could be posted someplace with the link and just copied and pasted into the indicator narrative as need be.

That would make this a one time implementation, hopefully keep everyone happy, and still provide the required information to anyone downloading the indicator.

If not, then I should just post it with appropriate credits and hope nothing comes up after the fact.

Your thoughts!!